Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Interviewed

I don't really mean to turn this into a blog about the death penalty, but Stanley Williams' execution was only a week ago and I still haven't entirely wrapped my mind around the experience of being outside the prison gates when he was put to death.

It is always an intense experience. My kids were very photogenic and we got a large amount of media coverage. I was interviewed several times.

About the best answer I could muster was to say that as parents, we teach our kids that two wrongs don't make a right. And it being the Christmas season, I think we can all think of at least one time when someone might have been convicted and executed without being guilty.

4 Comments:

At 5:17 AM, Blogger Bill Baar said...

Are the people of Calif saying two wrongs back a right? Or are they just saying your actions have consequences and some actions the consequence is death. I don't think Calif believes putting this man to death "made" anything right. He simply accepted a consequence he knew full well awaited him if caught.

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Steven Rowe said...

Bill: the "your actions have consequences" doesnt mean that the consequence is right.
If the consequence of picking your nose in public was the death penality, that still doesnt mean that putting someone to death for that is right, it just means that it is legal.
If killing is wrong - and I think it is - why does the govement killing someone change it from being wrong?

Or are you arguing something different?

 
At 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We teach our children that it is not okay to hit others. We do not hit our children to get that point across nor do we hit them to teach them that that is a consequence of their actions even though we are the ones with the power.The state murdering a person because they may or may not have murdered someone else is unacceptable and dangerous.

Cecily

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Bill Baar said...

I don't think killing is always wrong.

Once you aknowledge that, you start drawing lines.

You can draw those lines at different places.

I would draw a line against applying the Death Penalty in Illinois because our Justice system did a horrible job serving Justice.

But I acknowledge that there is a time to kill, and even a time for the state to execute.

Too deny that truth I think, is a bit dishonest to oneself I think.

At least it would be for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home