Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Friends that can make you feel like a slacker

I was in Berkeley today for class at Starr King School for the Ministry. Walking from the BART station I was reminded of one of my first trips to Berkeley.

It's hard to believe that it was 15 years ago. Several carloads of us had driven up from San Diego to go to a massive peace rally in San Francisco. We had decided to meet up in Berkeley and take the BART train under the bay to San Francisco. This was quite a scene. I remember being on a train with the East Bay Tow Truck Drivers for Peace, Prostitutes for Peace, Balkan Musicians for Peace, and the Bike-Sexuals for Peace.

The march and rally seemed so large coming from the small progressive community in San Diego. It took all day for all the contingents meeting on side streets to work their way down Market Street from the Ferry Building to Civic Center Plaza.

At the end of the day, we piled back on the train to go back across the bay. We had stayed up all night driving up from San Diego and we're all exhausted. A couple friends and I fell asleep and I remember worrying about not waking up in time for our stop.

I had to laugh getting off the train today and thinking about the two women that were with me on that train. One is an attorney and field director for Equality California. The other is the Director of WTO Programs for Public Citizen's Global Trade Watch.

I'm so impressed and I always love to hear about what they are up to next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home